Thursday, July 4, 2013

How the Independence day fest has changed during the years.

If you don't know it, it's 4th of July today. This means that it is the Independence day in the USA!!!
Since this the most important American festival, tonight we are going to a town called Meredith to see the fireworks! I expect it to be a very great time because our teacher Kate told us about how Americans are used to spending this typical festival.  The fireworks aren't going to be the only amusement, there are also supposed to be parades, typical foods, lots of people singing the national anthem and other famous american songs!! I'm very excited to go there especially because I really want to eat cotton candy!!! I'm very gluttonous!

I was asking myself what americans used to do on Independence day when fireworks didn't exist..
Since I'm not able to time travel, I can just imagine that they used to do something else.
They might have done more parades with marching bands. I also reckon that now people don't usually mention the Declaration of Independence, signed in 1776, during this fest, but in the past, maybe, people used to remember those times better!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you about the Declaration of Independence not playing a major part in our 4th of July celebrations anymore, but probably being significant in the past. Also, I'm sorry if I gave you the wrong impressions of what you would see in Meredith. A lot of the 4th of July festivities,like the parades and concerts, take place during the day. And, of course, small town celebrations are very different from those in big cities, especially New York & Washington D.C.

    ReplyDelete